Hurricane Dorian: How to Help
Hurricane Dorian devastated the Bahamas and is threatening Florida and the southeastern United States. For up-to-date information, please refer to the following websites:
- The Weather Channel
- Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy Hurricane Dorian Disaster Profile
Hurricane Dorian: Supporting the Bahamas
12 p.m. ET, Monday, September 9
Coordinated by the Center for Disaster Philanthropy and co-sponsored by the Council, this webinar will examine what is transpiring in communities impacted by Hurricane Dorian, from the Bahamas to the eastern coastline. As well, an understanding of the scope of support and resources available within a philanthropic response will be explored. Speakers will provide context to the latest needs on the ground after assessments are known and can be conveyed.
US Chamber of Commerce’s Hurricane Dorian coordination webinar
2 p.m. ET, Monday, September 9, 2019
Join this webinar to hear from partners who are actively responding. Learn what the immediate needs are in the areas, as well as the long-term outlook on recovery.
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy has launched the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund.
- The New York Times shares multiple ways to help survivors in the Bahamas.
- Charity Navigator has a list of high-rated organizations providing aid and relief.
- VolunteerFlorida's Florida Disaster Fund is the State of Florida’s official private fund established to assist Florida’s communities.
- GlobalGiving has set up the Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund to provide disaster relief and recovery services.
- Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties has a fund with matching dollars to support the Bahamas.
- Miami Foundation provides a number of relief and recovery resources.
- The Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF) is accepting donations for the immediate relief and mid-to-long-term recovery.
- North Carolina Network of Grantmakers has a resource page for those impacted locally.
The Disaster Philanthropy Playbook is a compilation of philanthropic strategies, promising practices and lessons learned that help communities be better prepared when a disaster strikes their community. In particular, it is aimed at helping philanthropic organizations and individual donors be more strategic with their investments and recognize the importance of supporting long-term recovery for vulnerable populations.
The Jessie Ball duPont Fund resource Creating Order from Chaos: Roles for Philanthropy in Disaster Planning and Response provides a framework for steps that can be taken for philanthropy to response to disasters.
Photo Source: NOAA’s GOES-East