It's Time for Community Foundations to Complete the CF Insights Survey
UPDATE: The deadline for the CF Insights survey has been extended to May 15.
It is time for community foundations to complete CF Insights annual data collection survey. Results from this survey are used to help individual community foundations across the country make more informed, effective decisions about their operating models, leading to greater financial sustainability and community impact. Your timely contribution makes all of this possible.
IPA appreciates our member's willingness to participate, as data from CF Insights survey is a critical component of our GIFT Snapshot Report for Indiana Community Foundations. Members use GIFT's Snapshot report to benchmark their community foundation with their peers. This is powerful information for board members to see. IPA also shares this important information with Lilly Endowment Inc.
New this year is more detailed questions concerning donor advised funds. In previous years, we have not required Indiana community foundations to complete this section of the report. However, this year there are new survey questions that will focus on community foundation policies regarding "dormant" or inactive donor advised funds. Your participation, as always, will be critical to both develop a comprehensive financial snapshot of the community foundation field and help deepen the conversation about the activity of DAFs.
Again, this year we request you report the total number of scholarship awards and total scholarship grant dollars on the Product Composition page. This will allow us to see how scholarship programs are changing across the state.
Items to Keep in Mind
- Please include interns in the total FTE numbers.
- Provide asset, gift, and grant numbers as if you were preparing your 990, net of any supporting organizations.
- If you have supporting organizations, we ask that you provide their asset, gift, and grant information in the separately labeled fields.
- When reporting core operating budget, include all administrative expenses for the foundation (excluding grant dollars).
- There are separate lines for personnel and non-personnel expenses.
- Special initiative expenses should be entered in their separate labeled field.
- For instant online help or a look at term definitions, hover over the question mark icon next to any survey question.
Use of Unaudited Financials
We understand that some foundations will not have official year-end financials by the survey's deadline. To ensure the timely publication of survey results, please use your internal financials to complete the GIFT Survey.
Participating in the Indiana survey is simple. Click here to begin, or access the survey from the CF Insights website, and log in using your e-mail address and password.
We look forward to reporting back to the Indiana field with the 2019 Snapshot report.