The Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation, based in Indianapolis, is seeking an experienced and strategic Director of Communications to join our team. Working closely with the President & CEO and Program staff, the Director will develop and implement communications strategies to effectively articulate the Foundation's mission and work to external audiences. The Director of Communications reports to the President & CEO.
The Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation strives to advance the vitality of Indianapolis and the well-being of its people by addressing the city's most significant challenges and opportunities. The Foundation is focused on three issue-areas: education, tobacco and opioid addiction, and the life-sciences. To advance its work, the Foundation implements a three-pronged approach: strategic grantmaking, evidence-based advocacy, and cross-sector collaborations and convenings. The Foundation has awarded more than $260 million in grants. Additional information about the Foundation can be found at: www.rmff.org.
The Foundation is seeking an experienced, dynamic and collaborative candidate who has content and work experience in at least one of the Foundation's three focus areas. Candidates also need to bring a communications skill set with excellent writing and editing skills. This is an ideal position for the experienced professional who loves to be immersed in doing the daily communications work while serving as a communications strategist for the foundation. Manages relationship with contract public relations firm. Demonstrated project management skills and attention to detail.
- Relevant education, training and experience, to include the following:
- A bachelor's degree and at least five years of relevant experience.
- Education or experience in public policy, health, education or life sciences.
- Practical experience as a communications professional, as demonstrated by a bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism or a related field; or three to five years of experience in marketing, communications, and/or public relations.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to listen well, convey thoughts clearly, speak in public, and make complex issues understandable.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to write for a variety of audiences and types of media.
- Experience creating, managing, and evaluating content for social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Strong understanding of and experience with digital brand development, online engagement, and audience building on digital platforms.
- An extremely detail-oriented approach to work, with a track record of success in developing and implementing new ideas and programs in a timely manner, including the ability to prioritize projects, meet deadlines and support others in doing the same.
- The ability to create and manage detailed project plans for events, initiatives, and cross-sector meetings.
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to thrive in an environment of growth and change.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively participate in a team environment.
- Experience working with different types of media and a variety of stakeholders, including charitable organizations' executives and boards of directors and the communities they serve.
- Ability to thrive in an environment of very high expectations coupled with exceptional colleague support and teamwork
- Excellent judgment, integrity, and commitment to personal responsibility and accountability.
- Design experience helpful, but not required.
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
- 1. Why is this position a great match for you?
- 2. Please identify which of your previous positions have provided you with a high level of knowledge about education, health, and/or public policy.
- 3. What is your experience with managing and creating content for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn)?
- 4. Give an example of when you had to write and present complex information to both technical and general audiences. What were the challenges? How did you address them?
Go here to submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.