Whether you are part of a small staff or volunteer your time to continue a legacy, providing leadership to a family foundation provides unique opportunities and challenges. While each foundation’s structure and interests are distinctive, balancing established funding partnerships along with a desire to be responsive to the current community needs in an informed and intentional manner is a common element of the work.
Join your family foundation colleagues from throughout Ohio for a participatory workshop that will explore the difference between “affective” and “effective” grantmaking.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Review case studies through the lens of an “affective” grantmaker versus an “effective” grantmaker
- Explore the importance of being informed and intentional while adhering to best practices
- Discover ways to situate and align your grantmaking within the broader context of community needs
- Understand how using data and working with other funders and community stakeholders can help shape your grantmaking priorities and strategies
Anthony Richardson, program officer, The Nord Family Foundation
Tony joined the Foundation in January 2015 as a program officer. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in Politics and African-American Studies from Oberlin College in 2005 and a Juris Doctorate degree from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law in 2009. Tony has professional experience in law, government and education.
You must be logged into the website to register.
IPA Members ($35 per webinar): To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
All Other Funders ($50 per webinar): Those who do not already have an online account to IPA's website, may register through the Council of Michigan Foundation’s (CMF) website here. If you have not already set up an account with CMF, you may do so here prior to purchasing the webinars.
If you have questions, please contact D'ana Downing at 317-630-5200 ext. 113 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE SERIES
This program is part of our 2017 Midwest Family Foundation Webinar Series. Join colleagues from across the Midwest and beyond for four webinars designed for staff and/or trustees affiliated with non- or small-staffed family foundations eager to find new ways of thinking smarter and performing better when it comes to their grantmaking.
This series is hosted by Philanthropy OH (POH) in collaboration with Indiana Philanthropy Alliance (IPA), Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF), and Minnesota Council on Foundations (MCF). Together, these regional associations hope to harness and share the collective expertise of each state’s leading philanthropic organizations and trusted community partners.
- 5/17/2017: Exploring Affective vs Effective Grantmaking (hosted by Philanthropy Ohio)
- 6/26/2017: Is Your Family’s Philanthropy Ready for the Future? (hosted by Indiana Philanthropy Alliance)
- 9/28/2017: Going Beyond Grantmaking: Using Impact Investing Tools for Mission (hosted by Minnesota Council on Foundations)
- 11/15/2017: Legal Pitfalls: Do you know what you don’t know? (hosted by Council of Michigan Foundations)