Capacity Building Deep Dive Day
Indiana foundations continue to seek ways to help their grantees carry out their missions more effectively. Through their 2017 Capacity Landscape Scan and Regional Capacity Roundtable Discussions, IPA and Aly Sterling Philanthropy have learned there are spectrums of strategies and services to achieve this goal. This program will define that spectrum and focus on three main strategies to strengthen nonprofit effectiveness:
- Organizational Assessments and Process Tools
- Operating Grants
- Knowledge and Networking
- You will leave with a working definition of capacity building and its terms, tools, and measurement strategies
- You will deepen your knowledge of how capacity building strategies can strengthen your grantmaking
- You will identify the strengths and challenges of activities associated with organizational assessments, operating grants, and training services
What is “Capacity Building?” IPA has uncovered several definitions for capacity building. Perhaps the most fundamental definition is "actions that improve nonprofit effectiveness" (from Investing in Capacity Building by Barbara Blumenthal, published by The Foundation Center). Others define capacity building as actions that enhance a nonprofit's ability to work towards its mission. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO) defines capacity building as, “the funding and technical assistance to help nonprofits increase specific capacities to deliver stronger programs, take risks, build connections, innovate, and iterate.” This program will utilize the GEO definition of capacity as a framework to discuss the spectrum of activities and strategies associated with helping nonprofits effectively pursue their mission.
This day is designed for foundation staff, foundation board members, and foundation grant committee members wanting to implement capacity building strategies to enhance their grant investments.
- Ashely Bice, Benton County Community Foundation
- Jill Carpenter, Community Foundation Alliance
- Andy Frazier, Prosperity Indiana
- Bryan Orander, Charitable Advisors
- Jen Pendleton, Aly Sterling Philanthropy
- Candice Perry, Welborn Baptist Foundation
- William Rhodehamel, Hendricks County Community Foundation
- Barb Schroeder, Community Foundation of Boone County
- Sharon Smith, Dekko Foundation
- Cheryl Taylor, Foellinger Foundation
- Jenna Wachtmann, Ball Brothers Foundation
- Alisa Winters, Rush County Community Foundation
You must be logged into the website to register. If you do not have an existing account, you may register for one here. Please allow 48 hours for account approval, or for immediate access you may contact Marilee Steckler at 317-630-5200 Ext. 119.
Please register by: 10/31/17
IPA cancellation policy: Cancellations received one week prior to this program will be honored with a full refund. No refunds will be issued after this date. In order to view or cancel current registrations, login into your account at www.inphilanthropy.org. Once you are logged in, click on "My Account" at the top of the screen. Your profile will show up in the main body of the webpage. Click on "Registrations" in the menu above your profile. Here you'll be able to view all your current registrations and cancel if necessary. You may also contact Catrena Morrow at 317.630.5200 Ext. 110 to confirm or cancel your registration.
Thanks to Aly Sterling and PFM Group for sponsoring this event!